Thursday, November 5, 2009

Some Book and People Notes

I just took Maury out around the neighborhood in the gloaming – it was totally wet and dark-- and counted twenty seven people on bicycles that passed us on our walk. I was wearing a raincoat, an ear warmer, and gloves; they were all in jackets or sweatshirts and moving along at a normal pace. I don’t know how they do it. I am not Dutch.

There were two encounters I had yesterday that I want to write about. First, I met a fifteen-year old and a seventeen-year old from, of all places, Middleville, Michigan. Their dad was a missionary in Poland for three years and then decided he needed more education, and for the past year and a half they’ve lived in the Netherlands while their dad goes to school. As I was talking to them I said, “You know, you can’t go back to Middleville,” and they said, “Why not?” and I said, “Because your world is so much bigger now than the kids you left behind there. You know Polish and German and French and Dutch and your friends are worried about who they will see at the latest high school football game and going to the mall.” And their eyes lit up and they said, “We want to go to the mall,” and I told them I was at the Woodland Mall last Friday night and about the new gargantuan Barnes & Noble they’ve built there, and I could see their hearts melting with envy. What a funny world. The seventeen-year old is going to college next year, and when I asked her where she said, “Someplace on the East Beltline,” which means Kuyper, Cornerstone, Calvin or Davenport, and it just struck me as surreal to be talking about colleges in my hometown of Grand Rapids with a kid in the Netherlands.

Then I met a young woman from Alaska who has a French mother and American father who described herself as a third-culture kid and we talked about not fitting in the US and not being really European. She actually brought up how frustrating it is to go to Chili’s, which made me smile because of my recent blog post about that. And then I said, “Why can’t Americans learn how to bake bread?” and she waxed rhapsodic about the higher value Europeans put on food and social situations involving food. At one point she said to me, “How often do you go back to the US” and I said, “About every three or four months, I just got back on Sunday night,” and she said, “Oh, are you jet lagged?” and I said “Of course,” and then she said, “And food doesn’t taste that good to you,” and I admitted that was true and she said, “Well, I call that the price of living an interesting life,” and I loved that comment. She made me feel good about feeling lousy.

Meeting her made me think of what I am going to do next week. I get to go to Cascais, Portugal (where I am confident the sun will be shining), and I am speaking at a Young Life camp for “third-culture kids,” kids who go to International Schools whose parents are either in International business or the military and who are American but who have often lived everywhere in the world except the United States. These kids fascinate me and it is a challenge to speak to them. You just can’t toss anything by them, they are way too smart. So, as I am preparing to speak to this extremely sophisticated group of kids, I’ve been re-reading NT Wright’s masterpiece “Simply Christian.” If you are wondering if the Christian story makes any sense and what in the world it all might mean, you should read this book. NT Wright is the Anglican Bishop of Durham, and we made a pilgrimage to the great cathedral at Durham about four years ago. Durham is where the river Wear is, where Godric (another great book, this one by Frederick Buechner, you really need to read that one, too) lived, and we were amused by the advertisement outside the Cathedral cafeteria that included a review from the “Sunday Times” which said, “Everything you would expect in a Cathedral cafeteria.” Anyway, NT Wright’s book is without parallel.

And finally, another book plug on this dark and rainy night. I’ve been quoting Barbara Brown Taylor’s “An Altar in the World: A Geography of Faith” in these pages lately because it is so good. She writes about discovering God in the everyday; that spirituality isn’t some quest to find something out there but waking up to what’s already here. Do yourself a favor and read that one, too. You won’t regret it.

5 comments:

  1. I'm reading Phyllis Tickle's autobiography right now, but am on to Simply Christian next. Have fun in Portugal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am actually looking forward to reading some of the books you've mention/endorse during my convalescence from my upcoming hip replacement. I've endured the pain, limitations (enough of gimping around TWL already!), and explanations of my altered gait for quite some time. Of course, reading your thoughts invite me to think and reflect on this wonderful world God has blessed me to be engaged in. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and observations.
    pax, tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I was looking at your daughter Amanda's blog (which was recommended to me by our mutual friend, Kelly) and from there I saw a link to your blog, and I just wanted to let you know that I took your advice and read 'An Altar in the World'... and it was absolutely amazing. I've really enjoyed reading your entries about dealing with living abroad because just having moved to Scotland a few months ago, I can definitely relate. It's so good to know I am not the only one feeling lost in a new culture! But just wanted to tell you that your shameless plug worked, and I read the whole book in one go... :)
    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah - I wanted to tell you that your comment made me feel really good - to hear from someone I don't know who is living in Scotland and finding some solidiraty and hope in what I am writing brings joy to me. Don't know if you are the sort of person who reads the Bible, even if you aren't you should recognize there is truth there, and I feel compelled to share these lines with you that mean a lot to me: suffering produces perseverance, persaverance character, and character hope. And hope does not disappoint.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And also in my next lifetime I hope to come back as someone who doesn't make a lot of typos.

    ReplyDelete