Sunday, November 15, 2009

Portuguese Blessings

Lisbon – Okay, I admit I think it is cool to post something from Lisbon. Actually, I am in Cascais, which is so wonderfully beautiful I don’t understand why it isn’t world famous. Lisbon is on a river that empties into the Atlantic Ocean and Cascais is the spot where that river meets the sea. There are hills and cliffs and beaches and I’ve tried to spend as much time as possible out of doors because the weather is warm, the sun has been shining and it feels so refreshing. Of course it is raining today, but that’s going to happen in November. Overall it’s been wonderfully good to be here.

I have become aware that sometimes I communicate in a sort of “out of body” type way, that I can’t quite believe little old Jeff Munroe from little old Grand Rapids, Michigan gets to be where I am having the experiences I have. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, here I go again. Last night I was having dinner with three British people who play in the “Lisbon Gulbenkian Orquestra.” One of them plays the French Horn, the other the viola and the third the violin. The French Horn player also is a gourmet cook and he just threw together something on the spot for dinner (which was terrific – turkey and pasta and salad and mango and pineapple) and then we went to downtown Lisbon where we met the French Horn player’s wife, who plays the flute in the orchestra, because she had a ticket for me for their concert last night. Oh, and I also know another French Horn player in the same orchestra, bringing the number of people I know in this orchestra to five, and making Lisbon, Portugal the place in the world where I know the most members of an orchestra.

I am here under the guise of working, and at times the past few days I have worked quite a bit, but the concert last night and the conversation at dinner were pure gifts to me. My spirit was fed. There is something about having a serious talk with folks who have English accents that makes me feel special. I don’t quite know how to explain that.

I also spoke this weekend at a camp to a group of high school kids. A few of the kids are Portuguese and have lived here all their lives. Others are part of the International community and attend one of the International Schools here. I met an American kid who has never lived in the United States, and I asked the other kids to tell me where else they have lived. This is the list of additional countries I collected: Angola, Zimbabwe, South Africa, France, Brazil, South Korea, Italy, Argentina, Australia and England. There were two kids who were born in Angola who had been sent out of their country because it was engulfed in a civil war. (Did you know, that like in Brazil, Portuguese is the language of Angola?) One of the kids from Angola had also lived in Miami, Florida for a while. He made me laugh because when I told him I was from Michigan he said that he was aware there was an Angola near Michigan and he wondered if he should live there. I assured him I didn’t think they would quite know what to make of him if he showed up saying "I'm home," in Angola, Indiana. He was a really nice kid whose name I can pronounce but can’t spell – if I had to take a guess I’d say it was something like Yvandro. Yesterday we were standing outside of a Starbucks and he asked me if I was going inside to get a coffee. I told him I wasn’t because I don’t like coffee, and he looked surprised and said, “But you are an American, every American I know likes coffee.” I said, “Well, maybe I’m not like every other American you know,” and he quickly became serious and said, “I already know that from listening to you speak to us.” Again, I don’t know if I should pinch myself or not, but to have a refugee kid from Angola say that to me made me very, very happy. It has been good for me to be here.

8 comments:

  1. Remind me again, what is your job? I think in some part God has placed you in your current position so that those of us here in "little ole Grand Rapids" (and all the other little places) begin to gain a completely different view of God's great big world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the You you are, and am not surprised others are catching on..Glad you've had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes me wonder what you said to those kids..

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first thing I told them was I didn't "know" anything but I believed some things and I was going to talk about what I believe. I tried to tell them that love is the most powerful force in the universe, that God made them because he loves them and that he wants them to live in a reconciled relationship with him. I also tried to tell them that the main thing Jesus talked about was that his coming to earth meant the Kingdom of Heaven or Kingdom of God had arrived. Among the things that means is that heaven isn't just something that is going to happen years and years from now when we die, but the kingdom of heaven or the kingdom of God is what it means to live under the reign of God today. I told them Jesus said I have come that you might have abundant life, not I have come to judge you and make you feel guilty and miserable about yourselves your entire life so you can go to heaven decades from now when you die. I tried to get them to see that following Jesus is about embracing who you were created to be, living fully human and fully alive right now, not just in the life to come, and that to be who we are fully in God means giving our lives to him and what he cares about - things like justice, peace, love, mercy, kindness, goodness, and humility. Mostly I just tried to say that through Jesus' death and resurrection we learn that love is stronger than hate, good is stronger than evil, and life is more powerful than death.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I makes all the practice feel worthwhile to read this and know that it can give people such pleasure to hear music! And I appreciate hearing about your talk. Reading Eknath Easwaran's daily "Words to Live By" I was struck by the same idea: he talks about discovering the joy that is within us all the time, as the Lord is "an abiding legacy that never leaves us. That is what is meant by everlasting life, which we can find here and now."(Nov.18)
    Cheers! Denise
    ps - 1st time blogger...what's a "profile"?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the response about what you said to them... next talk is now taken care of!
    tom

    ReplyDelete
  7. The world needs to know that Denise and her husband Jon are the sort of people that make life enjoyable! Denise, I think signing up for a profile means that if you ever strike oil or find gold on your land you have to give the profits to
    Google. Just kidding. I think it is fairly benign and is in place to keep people from commenting who won't go on the record, so to speak. Thanks for reading and writing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI Jeff:

    Is this the group that you spoke of in the previous post, the kids that are smarter than average American kids? I immediately thought of my friends' kids (Gretchen knows them too) who grew up in Kenya and Lisbon, and have spent only furlough time in the U.S. except for the oldest two, who have now gone to college at Westmont. Their mom, Lisa, has her blog at: www.wildhopeinternational.org/ under Let's Put the Kettle On. You can find info. about them there. Also VERY interesting stuff.

    Thank you, also, for sharing what you said to the kids. I'm so glad that they absorbed it! It's so relevant today. I often think of the verse where Jesus says, "I came that you might have life, and life abundantly" when I work with the moms at the halfway house. They have so much more ahead of them, and if they can somehow grab onto this idea, it could be so great for them. And, for me, too! I'm hoping by the end of my life, I can truly say that nothing got wasted; not one opportunity, not one experience, not one thing I was meant to do while being here.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete