Friday, October 9, 2009

Why Did I Weep?

I counted 12 Kleenex in the trash next to the desk when I had finished writing this. Hope it connects with a tender place inside of you, too….

We do a language exchange with a young Dutch woman named Hilde on Monday mornings. She wants to get better in English and we need all the help we can get in Dutch. Hilde especially needs help with reading and writing English and we decided to read a book together. So, I scanned my shelves. One of the hardest things about moving was choosing which books to bring. Books weigh a lot, and I had way too many of them. So I limited myself. 26 books by Frederick Buechner made it, of course, and Patrick O’Brian’s 20 volume Aubrey/Maturin series. Dale Bruner’s glorious two volume Matthew commentary also came, some books are worth so much more than their weight. I also decided to bring the five books Max DePree has published, and my eyes lit on his gem, “Dear Zoe.” The book is a collection of letters Max wrote to his granddaughter who was born at 24 weeks. Hilde is a new mother, and I thought Max’s book would do the job perfectly. It has. Hilde can’t wait to find out more about Zoe every week.

So this week while we were reading, I started crying. It is a beautiful, heart touching story, but I’ve read it a number of times without crying before. I’ve been asking myself, “Why did I weep this time?”

I posted a little hint of this in September in what I wrote the day after my birthday. I’ve been feeling the gulf of separation (maybe that should be the new name of the Atlantic Ocean) between most of the people who have filled my life and where I am today. I am sure I am now feeling culture shock, which might be best defined as the realization you aren’t on vacation anymore. I also mentioned that I reconnected with long-lost friends, and that’s caused me to be doing a lot of reflection on my life of late. I think the weight of all those things is why the combination of Max’s tender words and tough questions he was asking God about his granddaughter made me cry. He asked God, “Why do I have to start all over at 64?” and I feel the same question minus 13 years. And then there is Max himself. He’s been a special friend and mentor to me for over 20 years. I was dumbfounded when the CEO of one of West Michigan’s largest companies invited me to have lunch with him because he wanted to get to know me better. Wasn’t that supposed to happen the other way around? I miss being able to call him up and drive to Holland to spend time with him. He lives in the wrong Holland! Max personifies wisdom, grace, eloquence and elegance. In his book “Leadership is An Art” he has a chapter called “Why Should I Weep?” My question is a variation on that theme.

I think I should cry more. One of my favorite stories about Frederick Buechner comes from Dale Brown, who hosted FB in his home many years ago for a speech at Calvin College. Dale said he got up early in the morning and heard the television. He went downstairs and there was Frederick Buechner, sitting in front of Dale’s TV set, crying. The night before, while Buechner had given his speech at Calvin, the Rodney King-inspired riots in Los Angeles had broken out. Buechner was watching the news and crying. I want to be like that – I want to be soft enough so that the things that break God’s heart also break mine.

What makes you weep?

I’ve thought of few more things that always move me:

• When Amanda and Jesse were little sometimes I would stand in the hall outside their rooms and look at them asleep and my throat would catch and a tear come to my eye. They were so beautiful and innocent.
• When I read the book “Charlotte’s Web” to Amanda I couldn’t read anymore after Charlotte died and Wilbur the pig remembered her by saying, “It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both.” That’s all I ever wanted to be, too.
• Three movies – “The Wizard of Oz,” “It’s a Wonderful Life,” and “Forrest Gump.” With Oz it’s when Dorothy keeps saying, “There’s no place like home.” And she was an orphan, folks! The longing for home is one of strongest pulls inside of us, and we are all on some sort of Oz-like quest, just trying to get back where we belong. With “It’s a Wonderful Life,” it is when Jimmy Stewart sees what life would have been like if he had not been there, and through his eyes we see the absolute goodness of one man’s life. Plus Jimmy Stewart was such a great actor and the angst and terror in his voice and face are extremely powerful. Most of the time when that movie’s on I can’t even bear to watch it, because I know it will tear me up. With “Forrest Gump” it is the last scene where Forrest puts little Forrest on the bus. Again it is innocence and beauty and the goodness of life that gets me.
• When I preached at my grandmother’s funeral and I told of my hope that in heaven my grandmother would be united with her own mother, who had died when my grandmother was four or five years old. Her father abandoned her then, leaving her to be raised by her grandparents, way up at the top of Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. I was fine when I wrote the lines, but found I couldn’t say them out loud very well.

How about you? What makes you weep?

12 comments:

  1. Romans 8:38-39 Which were 2 of my Dad's favorite verses which were read at his funeral, and which my daughter Kaitlin read as she finished up her talk at Fremont's YL Senior night club last spring. There are a few NPR driveway moments that have brought me to tears, much like Frederick Buechner watching the news long ago.
    tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great question Jeff. I've asked God to soften my heart, because I also wonder why I don't cry more.
    It seems that moments that involve parent/child interactions, where normal life is unfolding, are the moments that can choke me up. In the movies it would be "having a catch" in Field of Dreams, or (funny enough) watching Steve Martin play basketball with his daughter in the driveway on Father of the Bride. These are tender moments for me.

    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom - way back when I had a professor named Bernard Ramm who taught us the impossible to spell art of Hermeneutics. His theory was that the Bible isn't flat, that there are peaks and valleys, and some parts stood taller and had more significance than others. His choice for the apex of scripture was Romans 8:38, 39, which conclude with the beautiful affirmation that nothing can separate us from the love of God in Jesus Christ. Thanks for adding that thought!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thursday was 35 years since my dad died in an accident at work. Sometimes I weep watching other folks my age struggle with aging parents. That's a whole stage of life that I missed with my dad because he was so young (as in a year younger than my current age) when he died. There is a small group of lady friends who lost fathers too early, and we have threatened to form our own "daddy's girls" club to know how to share that pain.

    You know how TRC does All Saints Day (coming up) where we read the year's necrology and also sing "For All the Saints." I haven't made it through even the first verse of that song in years...

    "We feebly struggle, they in glory shine."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary - I remember that and remember having the same reaction. It's a great tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two things come to mind: One is the movie Garden State, which I watched last week, and am using (stole this from Eric Kuiper) in a talk I'll give next week. Andrew, the main character, is a 26-year old actor who lives in LA and has been on anti-depressants for over ten years, because his father, a psychologist, thinks he has an "anger problem". The movie is about Andrew going back to New Jersey for his mom's funeral and falling in love with a girl, Sam, played by Natalie Portman. At the beginning of the movie,at his mom's funeral, Andrew relizes that he's so numb, he can't even cry. The movie is about him learning to feel again...through the experience of feeling pain, also being able to experience joy. A little nod to Fred Buechner, even if writer/director Zach Braff didn't know it.

    The second thing this reminds me of is a sermon that my campus pastor Judy Howard Peterson once gave. She talked about how "numbed" we are by our society, and used the example just exactly of how we feel when we watch the news, and asked us if we cry. Then she used a very good illustration - she started putting on physical layers -- a long-sleeved shirt, then a sweater, a jacket, a coat, then another one, so that she looked 10 times her size. And she talked about us being so covered up that we are numb to what's going on around us. That's an image that's stayed with me.

    This is why I like the rednow blog...it's good to remember that we can be in awe...in pain and in joy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And I remember you crying at the end of the Diary of Anne Frank

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amanda's example is my recent life. Having been on anti-depressants for more than 13 years, I can attest to the lack of emotion and the feeling of being numb to my emotions (other than anger). I wish I could cry. I miss being able to cry. Drugs are powerful, and many times very helpful, but they can have unwanted side effects. The last time I really cried was in March of 2008. Our 12 year old Yellow Lab, Bonhoeffer, needed to be relieved of his misery. I cried hard for him, but I cried even harder for my then 8 year old son Jared. To watch him grieve brought so many tears to my own eyes. He has my tender heart. I wish I could find mine again.

    I recently looked through a few dozen picutures posted by a good friend of mine. The pictures are of her newborn niece who is struggling for her life in a hospital in Thailand. She was born at 28 weeks. So tiny. So precious. So loved by God. She has people around the world praying for her, and weeping for her. But not a tear from me.

    What also gets me is seeing or hearing of abused and neglected children. I cannot watch a news story, I turn away during a movie, I do not read the articles. I just can't.

    The most emotion I can usually muster is a strong sense of loneliness. My heart wants to physically pour out the emotion, but the meds do not allow this to happen. Someday. Someday soon.

    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rick - I have been mulling over what to say in response to your vulnerable, poignant post for a couple of days, probably a few days too long because the silence of not being answered can be interpreted a thousand different ways. But I've been thinking of what to say and I don't want to say something cheap and cheesy that I don't mean and you would know in an instant is BS. So, that leaves me to say the only way I know how to recover our true selves is to keep telling the truth and being honest with ourselves and others about our feelings. God knows I have been lousy at that over my life and what I have found is that in the long run I am the victim of my own reconstructed histories. Don't know if that makes sense, but it is where I am living these days. Keep being open and real and who knows what may come out of you - I felt nothing but numbness punctuated by anger for about five years after Gretchen's stroke and think only now, 24 years later and 4000 miles from home, am I starting to really get in touch with all sorts of feelings and emotions I've been burying inside of me. Which, I guess is a very long and obtuse way of trying to say: you are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How often does one get to answer this question? I'm way behind on your blog so maybe you won't even see this.

    I am an absolute wreck, every single time, when I watch or read about Boromir dying at the end of Fellowship of the Ring. When with his dying breath he finally hails Aragorn as his captain and his king, after confessing for having failed his own people and Frodo, but Aragorn tells him no, that he has fought valiantly. Aragorn understands what has happened to Boromir and how his right motivations became twisted into the wrong kind of action. And so Boromir dies at peace having had this conversation with his king, after miles and miles of bitterness, competition and frustrated envy. It's one scene Peter Jackson gets right, I think. We're all Boromir.

    I also do not fail to weep when we sing Ein feste burg in church, in fact this occurred again just this Sunday! I've stopped being embarrassed about it. The fourth verse is just about the truest thing that I know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A few things come to mind:
    1) When I think of all the lost time, time I didn't get with my son, Joel, and to experience certain things I always planned on, always thought would be mine. And lately, thoughts of things I never planned, but now wish had come true.

    2) The thoughts of my close friends/family dying way too soon for my liking (which is anything sooner than 80).

    3) Innocence lost.

    ReplyDelete