Sunday, September 6, 2009

Amanda and Anne

Our daughter Amanda came from Germany last week to visit and to celebrate her 22nd birthday with us. We had a real Dutch birthday celebration, which included our Dutch friends congratulating Gretchen and me on our daughter’s birthday. We don’t do that in the US, and we are poorer for it. It makes you think about your role in your child’s life. I started thinking about what we’d contributed beyond biology to her. What had we done as parents that helped make Amanda such a remarkable young woman? She’s twenty-two and living on her third continent, working for the German church, searching for grad schools, and is very much intent on making a difference with her life.

We are blessed to have two great children who are contributing in positive ways to the world around them. I use the word “blessed” very intentionally, because it seems to me that Amanda and Jesse are people who have temperaments, skills and abilities far beyond anything positive Gretchen and I ever gave to them. We are blessed. But having said that, I have been thinking about one positive thing we did with our kids that we can take some credit for.

We read to them. Both of us loved to read to them and both kids loved to be read to. We read long after most parents probably quit reading to their children – I think we read to them until they were leaving elementary school and maybe even into junior high. I have very vivid memories of Jesse as a boy laughing his head off to “The Wind and the Willows;” of crying with Amanda when we reached the end of “Charlotte’s Web;” and both of them really enjoying “The Chronicles of Narnia” and “The Lord of the Rings.” We loved “The Trumpet of the Swan” and “A Little Princess” and “The Secret Garden.” We tended to go for the classics, and Amanda and I remember reading “The Diary of Anne Frank” together when Amanda was about nine or ten years old.

She’s asked me since why I chose to read a book with such a dark theme to her when she was so young. I don’t have a great answer for that. I just felt she was old enough to learn some of the horrible truth about what it means to be human. Beyond that I am not sure.

Last Wednesday, I had a meeting in Amsterdam and Amanda and Gretchen rode along. We all headed to the Anne Frank house afterwards. It seemed an appropriate thing to do with my daughter, since I’d introduced her to Anne Frank so many years ago. This was my second time through the house, and both times when I’ve visited the overwhelming thought I’ve had is “this really happened – it isn’t just some story from a book or movie – and it really happened right here, not so long ago.” The house is dark, somber, and sad, with the blackout paper still covering the windows and the rooms all bare because Otto Frank wanted the world to see what the Nazis left behind.

Anne Frank has become one of the most well-known faces of the Holocaust. At one point in the tour there are some words on a wall from a Holocaust survivor who says, “One single Anne Frank moves us more than the countless others who suffered just as she did but whose faces have remained in the shadows. Perhaps it is better that way; if we were capable of taking in all the suffering of all those people, we would not be able to live.”

So when my daughter was a young girl, I chose to expose her to another girl, to introduce the whole subject of the Holocaust to her.

There is a film clip playing in one of the rooms of Otto Frank talking many years later about returning from Auschwitz(he was the only one of the eight people hiding in the secret annex to survive) and the shock he had when first reading his daughter’s diary. He knew she kept her diary, but didn’t know the depth of feeling she had about so many different things. He had felt close to her, but after reading the diary he said that he reached the conclusion that most parents really don’t know their children.

Fathers and daughters. Great and complicated stuff. A Jewish father tries to hide his family during the war. His bookish daughter keeps a diary. I am sure Otto Frank never imagined that he would spend the rest of his life as the steward of his lost family’s memory, and particularly as the steward of his youngest daughter’s memory, simply because she wrote down what was happening. I’m sure he never imagined the house they hid in would become a museum visited by millions. Almost 65 years after they were captured, and 29 years after Otto Frank’s death, one Christian father from the United States and his daughter joined the millions to walk through these bare rooms and feel the weight of the Frank family’s suffering.

3 comments:

  1. Jeff: This is a very thoughtful piece. It touches me in many ways, with themes I see in my own life, and in the life of being a mom to a son. I have VERY often thought the same thing; my son has WAY more qualities and talents than I ever could have imagined, and will offer these to the world in many ways; certainly God blessed me with him, and blessed him with these things. Every day I am amazed with my son; I am glad that you feel the same way about your kids, as I often think most parents "forget" this over the years of parenting and all the mundane things involved in that. I, too, read to Joel, and in fact, will never forget the story of the Poky Little Puppy, which I never want to read again, because he wanted me to read it over and over and over to him, to the point that I almost hated that "stupid Poky Little Puppy"! But, for some reason, he loved it, so I read, and read, and read it to him as many times as he asked. He is now finishing up his last year of college, with a double major, and wishes to go to Law School. He has big dreams, lots of motivation, and an intelligence that surpasses my own. He, too, has pondered the reality of the Holocaust; at one time when he was about 15, I was taking a class with a prof. who had grown up in Germany when Hitler was coming to power; his father was a minister. He knew firsthand what it was like to experience this time in history, and he shared some of this with us. So, one day, I was sharing this with my son, and, after I stopped talking, he paused, looked at me, and said, "Mom, what would you say.......when you were being taken into the shower rooms, with all your friends and family, knowing what was to come, and as the showers turn on, you are looking into the eyes of your neighbor; what would you say?" I was stunned. He saw and felt a depth to this that I had never gone to in my own mind and heart, even after reading Anne Frank's book myself. I will never forget that moment either....it is tucked away in my heart forever. May you and Gretchen continue to love and cherish your children through all the life events that are yet to come, and I look forward to hearing more about them!
    Thanks,

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Jeff. S and I also look at our two boys and are very grateful for the young men they have grown up to me. They have gone off in very different directions, but both have developed a good work ethic, a good sense of humor and great lifelong friends. All of this in spite of how lax I might have been on that awful room of Mike's of making them help around the house in general.

    Generally, we all take too much for granted and we need to always remind those close to us how much it means to have them in our lives.

    Blessings!!

    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff!
    Our mutual friend Pat D always talks about people who look at her kids and comment on how "lucky" she is to have such wonderful children. We who are "lucky" know that luck has nothing to do with it. The partnership we have with God in raising such beautiful gifts is truly amazing. Pamela and I just dropped off our oldest at the namesake institution of one of your previous posts, and we both thought of the word gift in describing the last 18 years with Kaitlin. To be sure, we look forward to many, many more years with her and also her sister, but we did hit a milestone and realize that our relationship is changing from when they were younger and we made our weekly visits to the library, loading up on books.
    Oh yeah, one of the tricks to becoming "lucky?" A pile of books and barely any TV, but then you know that, you "lucky" parent, you.
    tom

    ReplyDelete