Wednesday, August 26, 2009

In Brugge

Or is it in Bruges? Both, actually, which I will explain later. Gretchen and I just came back from spending three days in Brugge celebrating our 24th anniversary, which was August 23rd.

I’m posting some pictures below that don’t come close to capturing how beautiful this city is. I am not going to do a Rick Steves travelogue here, I’m just going to say it is a two hour drive from our house and I would place a visit to Brugge at the top of my “must-do” list of things within two hours of here.

In these pictures you will see a tower – known as the Belfort – that was immortalized in the movie “In Bruges.” There is a picture of the view from the top of the tower. There are 366 winding steps to the top, and Gretchen and I had the aural pleasure of being at the top at 11am Monday, when the carillon played a song and followed that with eleven “bongs” of the bell that we could feel as much as hear. Wow!

There was a symmetry to being at the top of that tower on August 24th celebrating our 24th wedding anniversary even if we were married on August 23rd. Let me explain.

Most of you know we were married under unusual circumstances. Our lives forever changed 24 years ago, on a Thursday night late in July, one month before the date we were supposed to get married, when Gretchen suffered a massive stroke. She was 24 years old and had the stroke a few minutes after coming home from work. I will always remember things like driving 70mph down a residential street on the way to the hospital with her in the seat next to me, paralyzed on her left side and having seizures on her right. It was terrifying. After a week in critical care and another week in Holland Hospital, she was moved to the Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Center in Grand Rapids, which specializes in helping people who have had brain injuries. A team of people worked on her case – I remember a neurologist, a social worker, an occupational therapist, a physical therapist, plus several nurses. One of the many things we had to decide was what to do about our upcoming wedding. The folks at the hospital were concerned that going ahead with the wedding as planned would be too much for Gretchen.

What we all agreed on was that we would change our plans dramatically. We changed the date of our wedding from August 24th to August 23rd (which is why the inside of my wedding ring has “8-24-85” inscribed on it). We eliminated almost our entire guest list and never sent our invitations out. We decided instead to make our rehearsal our wedding, and our rehearsal dinner our reception. We sat down (because Gretchen couldn’t walk) in the front of the church and the 25 or 30 people we were married in front of were then seated. I recommend sitting down to get married. Royalty does it, and it helps control the knocking in your knees.

The folks at the hospital gave us a weekend pass – we were married on Friday evening, spent Saturday at the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel in GR, and on Sunday afternoon Gretchen had to go back to the hospital. I went to a friend’s house and slept on his couch, looking at the new ring on my finger and thinking how weird it was that I was newly married and sleeping on a couch. Gretchen stayed in the hospital for another month. A month or so after that she was able to stop using the wheelchair. About a year later she returned to work. Five years after that she was finally cleared to start driving again. What a way to start life together. But what a rich life it has been. Who could have imagined all that we’ve experienced over the years? Who could have imagined we would start in Holland, Michigan and wind up in the real Holland?

So I stood atop the tower in Brugge and felt elated. I was elated by the view and was so happy just to be in that beautiful place. I was laughing every time that bell rang and shook my bones. More than that I was elated because I was feeling so blessed as I thought about our life together. And I was marveling that Gretchen had just walked up 366 winding stone steps. But the 366 winding stone steps were nothing compared to surviving a stroke, or learning how to walk again, or giving birth to two children, or putting up with me for 24 years!

It was very good to be in Brugge.*

*Every Belgian city has two names, one Flemish, the other French. Most of the time you can figure the two names out – Brugge/Bruges is not difficult. But some are more of a challenge. I don’t know how anyone unfamiliar with this would know to follow the signs for Luik if they were heading to Liege or Bergen if they needed to go to Mons. Oh those Belgians.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was good to be in Brugge with you,luv.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jeff:

    This blog is, surprisingly, helping me to "get to know you" better, now after 24 years of being married to my old roommate! What I remember most, and will never forget, is the day that I picked up the phone in Santa Barbara, and hearing your voice, telling me that Gretchen had had a stroke; I couldn't fathom quite what you were telling me, as it seemed preposterous. It was like I had had a stroke, because I couldn't compute the words that were being spoken to me. "She's had a WHAT?"(although I'm sure that sounds like I'm minimizing it all, which I don't mean to do). The shock stayed with me for days; however, the thing I remember most is you telling me that you were still going to be married, and how it was all going to work. Because I didn't really know you, I thought to myself, "Well, ok, then. If this guy is really going to go through with this wedding, and marry her in the midst of all this, then I guess he's 'good enough' for Gretchen!" Sorry, Jeff, but I was a little unsure of you at this point, and a bit protective of Gretch! I also feel blessed that I was able to be there, and yeah, I like the idea of sitting too! But, as you say, it's all worked out, and it is indeed a miracle and I'm sure an awesome thing to think that she was able to get up all those stairs, and do all the things you've done in these 24 years together. Speaks to her strength of spirit, her drive to get better and live the most fulfilling life she could, and to have someone there who has supported her all along the way just makes it all worth it. I look forward to reading more of your posts, getting to know you better, and here's to the next 24 years!

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete